We’re in that time of year when it’s still summer, but back-to-school is on our minds. That said, there’s still time to enjoy lots of summer-time family fun before the kids head back to the classroom. Browse this list of 25 fun activities to enjoy before Labor Day on Staten Island and nearby, including easy-to-plan road trips, performances, beach days and more.
Activities to Enjoy Before Labor Day
- Go apple picking, and have lots of these delicious, healthy snacks on hand for the start of the school year.
- Don’t forget about peaches! There are lots of local farms where you can pick peaches, take them home, make cobbler—or just enjoy them as is!
- Ready for an adventure? Embrace your outdoors-y side and go river tubing at one of these New Jersey or Pennsylvania nature spots!
- Head to the famous Richmond County Fair, Sept. 3-5! This year, the fair features lots of carnival rides, bouncy houses, historic trade demonstrations and over 100 vendors selling everything from food to airbrush t-shirts.
- Go wild for animals at a nearby zoo. Kids will see leopards, penguins, grizzly bears and other amazing animals at the many zoos in the metro area.
- Ride a roller coaster, play carnival games and enjoy lots of family fun at one of these local amusement parks.
- Go on a picnic! From beachside locales to historical sprawling grounds, there are many picnic spots located throughout the borough.
- Explore Snug Harbor‘s many cultural spots, including the Staten Island Children’s Museum.
- Take the family out to dinner at the new restaurant, Lobo Loco Mexican Cantina, in New Dorp. With its fun atmosphere, extensive menu with fun options for kids, Lobo Loco is a great choice for dining with the family on Staten Island.
- Get lost among the flowers at a sunflower maze in New Jersey. (PRO TIP: Sunflower mazes provide great photo opps for Instagram.)
- Plan an easy, last-minute road trip to a nearby city to enjoy zoos, farms, museums and more activities your kids will love.
- Complete your summer with a day at a nearby beach to enjoy sand, swim and sun.
- Step back in time and explore Historic Richmond Town’s Open Village.
- Cool off and have fun at a Staten Island sprinkler park. Many are located throughout the borough.
- Want more water fun? Head to one of these nearby exciting water parks located not-too-far from Staten Island.
- Beat the heat by staying indoors to make some fun and adorable back-to-school crafts.
- Visit a beautiful lighthouse, many of which you can see from a ferry or boat tour.
- Another way to beat the heat indoors is by shopping—or just window shopping—at a nearby by mall or outlets.
- Enjoy a drive-in or outdoor movie in Staten Island or New Jersey. Check out these venues, some of which are showing movies well into September and October.
- Visit the Whitney Museum of American Art’s Biennial 2022, running through Sept. 5. It’s super contemporary and features lots of unusual pieces and displays that kids love and find particularly…intriguing.
- Go fishing at one of these locales in Staten Island or New Jersey.
- Enjoy Staten Island’s St. George area. Families can easily spend a whole day in this historic neighborhood and not have a moment of boredom.
- Swing into fun by going mini golfing! Mini golf is a great opportunity to bond with your children, have fun and even get in a bit of exercise.
- Head to one of the Staten Island Philharmonic’s Labor Day performances.
- See some cool animals at Liberty Science Center, including a naked mole rat, Madagascar hissing cockroaches, a chinchilla, rattlesnake and more.
Wanna read more stuff like this? Get our newsletters packed with ideas, events, and information for parents in Staten Island.