Spending the holidays with kids can get you into the holiday spirit better than anything! Celebrate the season with many activities, celebrations, and holiday events on Staten Island for families and kids of all ages. You can see a Christmas show, head to a menorah or tree lighting event, take photos with and meet Santa Claus, see beautiful holiday lights and so much more. Browse our list of the best holiday events in Staten Island that kids and families will enjoy, and be on your way to a merry and bright holiday season right in your hometown!
And now, here’s our list of ideas for some super fun holiday events in Staten Island and other winter activities to enjoy with the family!
1. Check out Egger’s Winter Wonderland at Snug Harbor. You can reserve an igloo and enjoy a hot beverage and ice cream while having a truly unique and cozy winter experience!
2. Brighten up and see the colors of the season! See beautiful Christmas light displays around the borough and nearby.
3. Make a fun Christmas wreath and participate in the South Shore’s Deck the Streets wreath-making competition.
4. Do some Christmas karaoke! There are so many songs to choose from, everyone in the family will have a great time!
5. Need a break from your holiday shopping? Pop in at one of the many cafes and restaurants on Staten Island that serve delicious hot cocoa and coffee.
6. Spend an afternoon at home making yummy Christmas cookies with the kids.
7. Head to the JCC’s Chanukah party for kids and families that includes a sing-a-long, crafts, dreidel games and more!
8. Wrap it up! Do your kids have gifts for their teachers and friends? If so, have a little wrapping party at home. Wrapping gifts is a great way for families to feel festive together during the holiday season!
9. Is there a snow day in the forecast? Don’t forget about this classic winter-time activity: Make a snowman!
10. Bring the kids to see Santa on Staten Island!
11. Some of the most popular holiday events on Staten Island are community menorah or tree-lighting ceremonies, many of which host additional activities, too, including crafts and live music.
12. Help those who are in need by donating to a food pantry, toy drive or coat drive, or taking part in volunteer opportunities.
13. Go on a candlelight tour at Historic Richmond Town. Costumed guides will take you through the village where scenes of holidays past conjure the spirit of the season.
14. There are many holiday events on Staten Island, but here’s something to do off the island: Book a holiday train or polar express train in NYC or nearby and head into a magical winter wonderland of Christmas cheer.
15. Grab those hats and gloves, bundle up, and go ice skating at the rinks on Staten Island or the many located in nearby New Jersey.
16. Want to do something super warm and fuzzy? Bring the family pet to the mall to get some paw-fect photos with Santa!
17. It’s the holiday season for animals, too! Enjoy the holiday season outdoors and go on a fun hiking adventure to discover the animals and plants of Blue Heron Park, located on the South Shore.
18. If you can’t make it into the city to see a Christmas show, don’t worry! Check out the annual Christmas Show at the St. George Theatre, an exciting series of songs and dances that the family will enjoy right here on Staten Island.
19. Help protect birds by participating in the Christmas bird count at High Rock Park. Participants will learn how to identify birds based on their feathers, calls and behavior. Findings will be logged and submitted to the Audubon Society’s yearly count.
Wanna read more stuff like this? Get our newsletters packed with ideas, events, and information for parents in Staten Island.