A holiday weekend isn’t complete until you fire up the grill, but flame-kissed steaks are just the start to an unforgettable meal that celebrates all the best of the season.
To create the perfect main dish, start with high-quality protein, like a New York strip. If you’re opting for burgers, elevate your menu with flavorful accompaniments like crisp candied bacon, sauteed shrimp and zesty homemade pickles for a menu you won’t soon forget.
Find more ideas for upgrading the grilling experience in your own backyard at OmahaSteaks.com.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound (1 package) Omaha Steaks Applewood Smoked Steak-Cut Bacon
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Place wire rack on foil-lined baking sheet. Place strips of bacon on wire rack and sprinkle with black pepper. Lightly pat brown sugar on top of bacon in thin layer.
- Place baking sheet on center rack in oven and bake 25 minutes, or until brown sugar melts and bacon is crisp.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes. Using tongs, transfer bacon to parchment-lined baking sheet and cool to room temperature.
- Store in airtight container up to 3 days at room temperature.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill, chopped, or 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cucumbers, cut into angled 1-inch slices
- Heat small saucepan over medium high heat. Add vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, salt, garlic and red pepper flakes, if desired; cook until mixture begins to simmer and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- In heat-proof bowl, toss dill, bay leaf and sliced cucumbers. Pour simmering liquid over cucumbers and stir to evenly coat. Cool to room temperature or chill before serving.
Note: Pickles may be made up to 3 days in advance. Refrigerate in covered non-reactive container.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 large, cleaned, uncooked Omaha Steaks Wild Argentinian Red Shrimp
- Heat medium skillet to medium-high heat. Add butter; cook until melted.
- Add chives, salt, pepper and shrimp to pan. Cook 2 minutes, turn shrimp and cook 2 minutes, or until shrimp is opaque and cooked through. Remove from heat and serve.
Dry-Brined New York Strips with Grilled Brown Butter Balsamic Onions
Prep time: 1-12 hours
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
- 4 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground pepper
- 4 (11-ounce) Omaha Steaks Private Reserve Boneless New York Strips, thawed
Butter and Balsamic:
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 large sweet onions
- 4 wooden skewers, soaked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- To make dry brine: Combine salt and pepper; season steaks generously on all sides. Place steaks on elevated rack on baking sheet and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- To make butter and balsamic: Heat small skillet to medium high heat. Add butter and cook until butter begins to brown and smell nutty. Remove from heat and add balsamic vinegar and thyme. Set aside.
- To make grilled onions: Peel off outer layers of onions. Slice into 1/2-inch slices. Lay onions on flat surface. Push skewers through centers of onions; two onion slices per skewer. Brush onions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To cook steaks and onions: Make two-zone fire on charcoal grill with coals on one side and no coals on the other.
- Place onions on cool side of grill; flip and rotate every 10 minutes until golden brown, approximately 25-30 minutes. Total time will depend on how hot coals are and how close onions are to fire. When onions are golden and tender, brush with brown butter balsamic mixture.
- On hot side of grill, during last 15 minutes of cook time for onions, cook steaks to desired temperature. When steaks are 5 F from desired temperature, remove from grill and let rest 5-10 minutes.
- Remove onions from grill. Carefully remove onions from skewers and place in serving dish. Top with remaining brown butter balsamic mixture and serve with steaks.
Omaha Steaks via Family Features