Updated Nov. 18: Starting November 19, 2020, all NYC school buildings are closed for in-person learning until further notice. All students who were learning in school buildings part of the week will transition to remote learning every day. Visit schools.nyc.gov/coronavirus for more.
According to the New York City Department of Education, schools are to close when the percent of positive tests in New York City is equal to or greater than 3% using a 7-day rolling average.
If you need a device, need technical support or to fix a broken device, or are dealing with a lost or stolen device, call DOE’s IT Help desk at 718-935-5100 and press 5 to get assistance. Visit schools.nyc.gov/devices for more information.
All families can continue to go to any school building (9am-12pm on weekdays) to pick up three free grab-and-go meals. No identification or registration is necessary. Halal and kosher meals are available at some sites. Learn more: schools.nyc.gov/freemeals.
Learning Bridges, the City’s free childcare program for children in 3-K through 8th grade, will continue to serve families enrolled in blended learning. Priority is given to children of essential workers. Learn more and apply at schools.nyc.gov/learningbridges.
3-K & Pre-K classrooms in district schools & DOE Pre-K Centers will be closed. If your child attends a program in a community-based center that is not located in a public school, or attends a family childcare program that is part of a DOE network, it will remain open. If you are not sure which type of program your child attends or have questions about your child’s services, contact the program directly.
2020-2021 NYC Public School Calendar
- Wednesday-Friday, Sept. 16-18: Fully remote, partial school days for students
- Monday, Sept. 21: First full day of school; blended learning commences for 3-K, pre-K, and District 75 schools
- Monday, Sept. 28: Yom Kippur, schools closed
- Tuesday, Sept. 29: K-5 and K-8 schools in-person learning begins
- Thursday, Oct. 1: Middle and high schools, secondary schools, transfer/ adult education in-person learning begins
- Monday, Oct. 12: Columbus Day, schools closed
- Tuesday, Nov. 3: Election Day, fully remote instructional day for all students
- Wednesday, Nov. 4: Evening parent teacher conferences for elementary schools and K-8 schools
- Thursday, Nov. 5: Afternoon parent teacher conferences for elementary schools and K-8 schools
- Wednesday, Nov. 11: Veterans Day, schools closed
- Thursday, Nov. 12: Evening parent teacher conferences for high schools, K-12, and 6-12 schools
- Friday, Nov. 13: Afternoon parent teacher conferences for high schools, K-12, and 6-12 schools
- Wednesday, Nov. 18: Evening parent teacher conferences for middle schools and District 75 school programs
- Thursday, Nov. 19: Afternoon conferences for middle schools and District 75 school programs
- Thursday-Friday, Nov. 26-27: Thanksgiving Recess, schools closed
- Thursday-following Friday, Dec. 24- Jan. 1: Winter Recess, schools closed
- Monday, Jan. 18: Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, schools closed
- Monday, Feb. 1: Professional Development Day for 9-12 and 6-12 schools in Districts 1-32 only; students in these schools do not attend. Students in K-5 and D75 schools and programs are in attendance.
- Friday, Feb. 12: Lunar New Year, schools closed
- Monday-Friday, Feb. 15-19: Midwinter Recess (includes President’s Day and Lincoln’s Birthday), schools closed
- Wednesday, March 3: Evening parent teacher conferences for elementary schools and K-8 Schools
- Thursday, March 4: Afternoon parent teacher conferences for elementary schools and K–8 schools
- Wednesday, March 10: Evening parent teacher conferences for middle schools and district 75 schools and programs.
- Thursday, March 11: Afternoon parent teacher conferences for middle schools and district 75 schools and programs
- Thursday, March 18: Evening parent teacher conferences for high schools, K–12, and 6–12 schools.
- Friday, March 19: Afternoon parent teacher conferences for high schools, K–12, and 6–12 schools
- Monday-Friday, March 29-April 2: Spring Recess, schools closed
- Thursday, May 13: Eid Al-Fitr, schools closed
- Monday, May 31: Memorial Day, schools closed
- Thursday, June 3: Anniversary Day. Chancellor’s Conference Day for staff development. Students not in attendance.
- Tuesday, June 8: Clerical Day for K–5, K–6, 6–8, and K–12 and D75 schools and programs only; students in these schools do not attend. Students in 9–12 and 6–12 schools in Districts 1–32 are in attendance.
- Friday, June 25: Last day of school for all students.
Wanna read more stuff like this? Get our newsletters packed with ideas, events, and information for parents in Staten Island.