Oh summer! It’s wonderful. And nothing says summer quite like lounging on the beach with a gripping novel. And this year, beach reading is even better, as the New York Public Library (NYPL) launches its Summer at the Library initiative.
As part of the initiative, families can enjoy a suite of free programs and offerings all summer long. Want to know the best part? The NYPL, which serves Staten Island, Manhattan and the Bronx, is giving away 500,000 books for free to kids, teens and families at all of its branch locations this summer. Now, you and your kids will never be without a book on the beach this year!
Families can visit any NYPL branch, including the many libraries based on Staten Island, to receive the books.
View this post on Instagram
Summer at the Library Initiative: Combating the “Summer Slide”
As a parent, you want to make sure your child receives a great education. And the library wants to help you make sure that happens. According to NYPL, keeping kids engaged in the summer through reading is a great way to combat “summer slide.” This happens when kids forget what they learned in school while they’re on break. And after the last two years, engagement throughout the summer is especially important.
“New York City students and families have been through so much over the last two years. It’s critical that, during this period of recovery and renewal, our ecosystem of learning do all it can to support and engage them,” Brian Bannon, NYPL’s Merryl and James Tisch Director of Branch Libraries and Education, said. “Public libraries are uniquely positioned to do this while students are out of the classroom over the summer months, providing quality, free programs to engage their minds while also getting them excited about books, reading, learning, and their communities. After so much time apart, it’s time to safely come together this summer.”
The book giveaway is supported in part by the Gray Foundation.
Other Cool Features of Summer at the Library
In addition to the book giveaway, highlights of Summer at the Library include:
- Make Waves—Summer Reading and Learning for Kids and Teens: The library’s annual youth reading campaign provides school-aged children with programs, activities, and educational challenges over the summer. It’s sponsored citywide by the New York Life Foundation and others.
- Reading Recommendations: NYPL put together a new list of “staff picks.” These picks feature 100 summer reading recommendations for all ages. The books can be found at nypl.org/summer.
- Outdoor Pop-Up Programs: NYPL hosts storytimes and outdoor reading rooms in outdoor spots this summer. If you’re in the city on June 18, you’re in for a treat. The library will hold storytimes and do library card sign-ups in Central Park as part of the city’s Adventures NYC program. Additionally, the library’s bookmobiles will be active throughout the summer, visiting various communities with books to borrow.
- In-Branch Programs: NYPL is offering hundreds of programs and classes all summer long. Additionally, the library’s LIVE from NYPL series is hosting a citywide summer dance party in August. More information on that to come!
- Programs for Grown-Ups: In addition to the many programs the library always offers adults, there are some summer-themed programs available at branches across the system this summer, with limited book giveaways.
For more information about NYPL visit nypl.org or follow the library on Instagram or Facebook.
Wanna read more stuff like this? Get our newsletters packed with ideas, events, and information for parents in Staten Island.