Winter weeknights call for dishes that are quick and easy, but also comforting and delicious. That’s why we love the slow-cooker. Just toss in your ingredients and let the magic happen. Four to eight hours later your family will enjoy a meal that tastes like you spent the whole day in the kitchen. We won’t tell if you won’t!
Chicken Cheese Tortellini Soup
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast or thighs, cubed
4 carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
6-8 cups low sodium chicken broth
12 ounces cheese tortellini
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
crackers, for serving
1. To the bowl of a 6-8 quart slow cooker, add the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, olive oil, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Give everything a good stir. Add 6 cups chicken broth; cover and cook for 4-6 hours on High or 6-8 hours on Low.
2. Just before serving, add the tortellini and cook an additional 10 minutes on High. If desired, add more broth to reach your desired consistency. Once the tortellini is soft, stir in the Parmesan cheese, parsley and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
3. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with crackers.
See this and other great recipes at BettyCrocker.com
Read Next | Cozy Winter Soups
1 3-4 pound chuck roast, cut into bite sized cubes
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons steak seasoning
1 medium onion
2 pounds red potatoes, cut into chunks
3 carrots, sliced into 1-inch slices
3 stalks celery, sliced into 1-inch slices
1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
3 cups beef stock
1. Spray insert of slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients to slow cooker insert and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
2. Serve warm with chunks of cornbread.
See this and other great recipes at AddaPinch.com
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, diced, seeds removed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (16 oz) bag brown lentils, rinsed
2 (15 oz) cans small red beans, rinsed and drained
2-3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Stir well to combine.
2. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Serve warm.
See this and other great recipes at TwoPeasAndTheirPod.com
Baked Potato Soup
4 pounds of potatoes
1 white onion, small dice
5 whole garlic gloves (keep them whole)
7 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
16 ounces cream cheese (use low-fat, if desired)
grated cheddar cheese
cooked bacon, crumbled
1. Peel and cut your potatoes in a small dice. Add potatoes, garlic, onion, black pepper and chicken broth to slow cooker.
2. Cook on low for 8 hours.
3. Blend about 2/3 of the soup with the cream cheese in your blender (you may need to do this in batches).
4. Season the soup with salt to taste and serve with desired toppings.
See this and other great recipes at TheMagicalSlowCooker.com