Memorial Day Weekend is the unofficial start to summer, a time when pool-owners and pool-goers alike get ready for a summer of splashing in the water. Unfortunately, it’s also the time when you hear about tragic drownings. As such, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and PoolSafely.gov are reminding parents to take every possible precaution to ensure the safety of their children in the water by taking the following Pool Safely Pledge.
I pledge that I will…
• Designate a water watcher every single time children in my care are in or near the water.
• Make sure my kids know how to swim.
• As a parent or guardian, learn CPR.
• Always remove portable pool ladders when not in use.
• Ensure all permanent pools have a proper fence and gate and safer drain covers.
You can submit your pledge here.
For more information from the CPSC on recent statistics involving drownings and water injuries involving children, click here.