Whether she’s still hard at work raising children or her kids have grown up and now have children of their own, Mom deserves our best efforts come Mother’s Day. Don’t get me wrong, we don’t need a day to get our mothers and fathers a gift but when a day has been there for that specific reason let’s not waste it. When it comes to the men in our lives, I still recommend you visit manlymanco.com/collections/gift-baskets-for-men and check out their fantastic variety of gifts for men, but when it comes to our mothers, we can surely do a little more. While traditional gifts like flowers, chocolate, or a trip to a favorite restaurant might make for thoughtful Mother’s Day gifts, those who want to try something different for Mom this year can consider the following unique gift ideas:
- Concert tickets. Many adults recall the days of their youth when Mom would relax while listening to some of her favorite music on a lazy summer afternoon. Why not take a stroll down Memory Lane and take Mom to see one of her favorite acts in concert? Even if you have outgrown Mom’s musical tastes, she will still appreciate the chance to spend an evening out on the town with her kids and some good music.
- Theater tickets. If Mom is a fan of live theater then nothing will elicit a bigger smile than tickets to a Broadway show she has had her eyes on. If the price of tickets is too steep, consider off-Broadway, or a local theater production. Still have your heart set on Broadway? Do your homework and find discounts, coupons or special offers online. If you are more interested in the experience of Broadway than seeing any one particular show, plan a day trip that begins with a visit to the TKTS booth for half-price tickets. You won’t know what’s available until you are there, but you’re still bound to see an unforgettable show Mom will love!
- Parts unknown. Moms who love to travel and experience other cultures would certainly appreciate a trip abroad or a domestic getaway to a region of the country they have yet to explore. Before booking any such trips, speak to your Mom and ask if there’s anywhere in particular she’d like to go. Such trips can be expensive, so adults might want to speak to their siblings and finance such an excursion together.
- Spa treatment. If Mom is still as active as ever, then a day of pampering at a nearby spa is sure to please. Many luxury spas offer packages, especially around Mother’s Day, that make a full-on spa treatment a more affordable gift. Men and women can even accompany Mom on her trip and reap the rewards of being such a thoughtful son or daughter.
- Make it a Home Spa. Create a Zen-like atmosphere right in your own home. What mom wouldn’t relish a day of peace and tranquility at home, while her family treats her like royalty? Perhaps she’d enjoy an unhurried bubble bath. Or buy her a novel and give her time to relax in a lounge chair to read it. Keep music subtle and soothing and bring her treats like fresh fruit and glasses of water with lemon or cucumber. Feeling adventurous? Offer to brush her hair or polish her toenails.
- strong> Personal Gift Basket. What is her absolute favorite thing in the world? Create a personal gift basket filled with items relating to the thing she loves most. With summer approaching, a beach-themed basket could include flip flops, sunglasses, and colorful beach towels, with a mini-cooler as the basket. Does she love to garden? Fill a basket with seeds, gardening tools, and special gloves. Whichever theme you choose, she’ll appreciate the thought and effort you put into creating the perfect gift basket for her.
- Gifts for the eco-conscious mom. Most moms cherish any gift from their children, whether lavish or simple. A nice, eco-friendly gift is to spend time together. Research local parks or hiking trails and plan a day where you both commune with nature. Or even head to the seaside for a relaxing day. Explore the landscape and be on the lookout for birds and washed up treasure from the sea. Plan ahead and pack a homemade, picnic lunch.
- Waking up to a special treat. Few gestures of affection create such a stir as presenting a loved one with breakfast in bed. The surprise of breakfast in bed is almost as important as the presentation, so be sure everyone rises early enough to help prepare the meal secretly and has it ready for when Mom wakes up. For the most part adult supervision is important when cooking is involved, although older children can handle a simple menu. Juice and cereal, a muffin or yogurt can be just as charming when presented by little ones on a tray with a homemade card and a flower or two.
- Clean her car. Surprise mom by washing her car. Don’t forget to clean up the inside too! Get out the hand vac to get to all those spilled Cheerios and Goldfish crackers. Organize all the sports equipment into buckets. Use containers or bags for crayons, drawing pads, and other small items. Collect the empty water bottles and don’t forget to recycle. Couple this with a gift card for a tank of gas and a new air freshener and you’ve got a really nice themed gift. Now maybe she won’t mind all the time she spends in the car taking you places!
Read Next | See More Great Recipes for Kids