The summer can keep its hamburgers and hot dogs; there’s nothing like a hearty winter soup. Warm, comforting soup recipes are pure perfection on freezing cold nights. Feed your family one of these yummy kid-friendly soup recipes that are sure to please both the young and old alike.
Not in the mood to cook? Luckily there are a few restaurants on Staten Island where kids eat free during the week.
Old Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup
- 16 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces dried wide egg noodles
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Combine chicken broth and chicken in heavy large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover partially and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to large bowl. Cool chicken and broth slightly. Discard skin and bones from chicken. Cut chicken meat into bite-size pieces and reserve. Spoon fat off top of chicken broth.
- Return broth to simmer. Add onion, carrots and celery. Simmer until vegetables soften, about
- Melt Add mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown, about Stir in lemon juice.
- Add mushrooms to broth; stir in noodles, parsley and reserved chicken. Simmer until noodles are tender, about Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
~Courtesy of Epicurious
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped (about 3 cups total)
- 2 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds total), peeled and diced into chunks
- 4 medium or 3 large apples (I like using a mix of sweet apples such as McIntosh or Golden Delicious and tart such as Granny Smith or Cortland), peeled, cored and roughly diced
- 3-4 cups low sodium chicken stock, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg*
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat your oven to In a large, deep stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over low. Add the onions and cook until very tender, about
- While the onions cook, cut and peel the squash and apples. Add them to the pot, then add Bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat to low, then cover, and cook until the squash and apples are very soft, about
- Once the apples and squash in the soup pot are tender, puree the soup with an immersion blender or carefully transfer it to a food processor fitted with a steel blade to puree in batches. Return soup to the pot once complete. Add Leave the texture fairly thick and rich. Stir in the salt, nutmeg, black pepper, and cayenne. Taste and add a bit more salt and pepper as desired.
~ Courtesy of Well Plated
Italian Wedding Soup
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped escarole or 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- grated parmesan cheese
- In medium bowl combine, meat, egg,bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil& onion powder; shape into
- Brown the meatballs lightly on the stovetop.
- In large sauce pan, heat broth to boiling; stir in spinach, orzo, carrot and browned meatballs.
- Return to boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook at slow boil for
- Stir frequently to avoid sticking.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
~Courtesy of Kitchen Vistas’s.
Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced**
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 4 slices bread, any type you like (i used sourdough)
- 4 thin slices cheddar cheese
- butter or oil
you will also need :
- large soup pot, blender or immersion blender, skillet, sheet pan
- heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. add the onions and sauté for
- Add the carrots and garlic and sauté for
- Add the remaining soup ingredients to the pot and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for
- Carefully move the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender to blend the soup in the pot.
- **Variation: If you do not have fresh tomatoes, you can use one
- To make the croutons:
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Butter the slices of bread on one side.
- Place two slices of cheese on two of the slices of bread on the un-buttered side.
- Place the other buttered slices on top to form two sandwiches, so the buttered sides are on the exterior and the cheese is within. Place the sandwiches in a hot skillet.
- Cook for
- Remove the sandwiches from the pan and allow to cool enough for you to handle them. Cut each sandwich into
- Place the sandwich cubes on a lined or lightly greased baking sheet and bake them for
- Remove croutons from the oven and serve with the tomato soup.
~ Courtesy of Tori Avey
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie Stew
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups, chopped potato (peeled if desired)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning (optional but AWESOME)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Homemade or store-bought biscuits (or other desired bread)
- In a
- Cover and cook on low
- During last hour of cooking, add sour cream and peas. Stir.
- Stir and serve with biscuits or other bread.
~ Courtesy of Stacy Makes Cents
Simple Turkey Chili
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned kidney beans drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional; only use if your family enjoys spicy food)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional; for topping)
- sour cream (optional; for topping)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until tender.
- Pour water or stock into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, and garlic. Season with chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for at least
- Top with shredded cheese and/or sour cream.
- NOTE: this is a great basic chili recipe. Make it your own by adding any vegetables you like, such as chopped green or red peppers, corn, mushrooms, or shredded carrots. You can also add an extra can of beans, and use a variety of beans like black or navy beans.
~ Courtesy of Allrecipes
Macaroni and Cheese Soup with Roasted Tomatoes
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry macaroni elbows
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- To roast the tomatoes, preheat the oven to Place the tomatoes, cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the tomatoes for
- To prepare the soup, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, about
- Whisk in the flour, then slowly whisk in the vegetable broth and add the bay leaf. Increase the heat to high and bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and boil until it is almost tender, about Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Stir in the cream, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and pepper.
- Add the cheese and continue to stir until completely melted. Bring the soup to a boil again for
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls and top with the roasted tomatoes.
~ Courtesy of Culinary Lovers
Alphabet Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 whole large onion or 1 small onion, diced finely
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable Stock
- 2 cups water
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/3 pound green beans, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 29 ounces stewed tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup alphabet shaped pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add onion. Sauté onions until starting to caramelize. Add garlic and stir until softened and fragrant.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Bring soup to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
~ Courtesy of Serena Bakes Simply
Read Next | More Cozy Winter Soups